Toys are fascinating. Who didn’t want that red flashy remote car in their childhood? Now, what if it’s not just a remote car but a car that’s actually smart. Let’s see what are the features of this car.
You power on this with remote control. The car can detect the kid’s presence. It also detects any other object/obstacle around it. After that, the car moves away from the kid, and also at the same time, it makes sure that it doesn’t collide with any other objects in its path.
Of course the kid is going to chase the car. Now when the kid is near, the car moves around them in different shapes to make it unpredictable and exciting. It also makes noise and uses flashy lights to lure the kid into chasing it.
- Remote control for powering on or off
- Detecting the Presence of kid nearby (360 Degrees)
- Detecting any other Object/obstacle in its way and moving in a direction which is non obstructive
- Making a sound or flashing lights when it is waiting for the kid
- The car has random (circular i.e rotate around the kid) /triangle/rectangle etc) movements to make it unpredictable.
Now let’s see the technical aspects of this
So now that we understand the features we need, let’s see the components required to accomplish this.
|Shakti processor based SoC
|HC-SR04-Ultrasonic Range Finder
|Human detection sensor
|Omron Electronics D6T-1A-02
|DF player mini
|DFPLayer Mini module
|SERVO MOTOR SG90
Shakti processor based SoC
The main component driving all the sensors is the Processor. Shakti Processor used here is the India’s first indigenous microprocessor.
An ultrasonic sensor is an electronic device that measures the distance of a target object by emitting ultrasonic sound waves, and converts the reflected sound into an electrical signal. Here it is used for Object or obstacle detection in the Path of the
Human detection sensor
Human detection sensor can detect the kid’s presence by sensing changes in human body temperature with respect to the surrounding temperature.
It is used to switch on and off the car.
DF player mini module
This is a small, low price MP3 module with an simplified output directly to the speaker.
Servo Motor and Motor Driver
This is used to produce random patterns/movements of the car so as to make it unpredictable and exciting
LED lights are used to make it attractive.
Basic components flowchart:
Working of Smart car
- Switch on the
- Play Music & Blink Lights and wait for the kid to notice.
- Scan 360 degrees to detect the kid (Can detect Human presence up to 1.5m) or the obstacle (Can detect obstacle till 5.5m)
- Choose a path which is free and move in that direction.
Akshaya currently works at the RISE labs. Her favorite subjects are Web designing and Microprocessors. She loves learning about new things and writing about them!